Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education
GUIDELINES FOR MANUSCRIPT PREPARATION
NOTE: Beginning January 1, 2020, all manuscripts and letters to the editor approved for publication will be charged a $50.00 administrative processing fee.
The Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education encourages submission of manuscripts based on empirical studies, reviews (including meta-analyses), theoretical propositions, methodological critiques, case studies, book reviews, and letters to the editor pertaining to alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs. Educational and ecological intervention studies are especially encouraged. Empirical studies, reviews, theoretical and methodological articles, and case studies receive blind peer-review by three reviewers; letters to the editor and book reviews are reviewed only by the editors. Manuscripts submitted to the Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education must follow these guidelines:
- Manuscripts must be prepared in accordance with the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (7th edition).
- Manuscripts based on empirical studies, reviews, theoretical and methodological articles, and case studies should not exceed twenty double-spaced pages with one-inch margins on all sides. This page length includes the tables and references but excludes the title page and the abstract page.
- The letters to the editor should not exceed ten double-spaced pages including no more than 10 references. An abstract or cover page should not be submitted with a letter to the editor, and the letter must begin with “Dear Editor:” and must include a title. The name(s) and affiliation(s) of the writer(s) must be stated before the references in the letters to the editor.
- The book reviews should not exceed more than five double-spaced pages including any references.
- The preferred style of font, as suggested by the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, is 12 point serif (e.g., Times Roman or Courier) for text and sans serif (e.g., Arial or Franklin Gothic) for figures and tables.
- Tables and figures must be camera ready.
- The abstract should not be more than 120 words.
- The Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education accepts only original articles. Simultaneous submissions to other journals are not permitted, and a statement confirming this must be included in the transmittal letter. Although submission and acceptance of a manuscript implies transfer of copyright to the Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education, a signed Consent to Publish and Transfer Copyright is also required.
- Conflict of interest including financial support, any other colleagues’ professional contributions, any earlier professional presentations, and any other relationships must be explained in the author notes section.
- The manuscripts are sent for blind review to three reviewers based on the criteria of:
b. Level of interest to readers
c. Format, organization, and adherence to guidelines
d. Recent nature of work
- The reviewers rate each manuscript based on the criteria of:
a. Contribution to the field
c. Scientific accuracy
d. Writing style
- The reviewers recommend:
b. Acceptance with minor revisions
c. Acceptance with major revisions
e. Recommendation for submission to another journal
- For the manuscript to be considered for publication, two reviewers must recommend acceptance. Final decision is made by the Editor, Manoj Sharma, MBBS, MCHES, Ph.D., Professor, Behavioral Health Promotion & Education, Jackson State University, 350 W. Woodrow Wilson Dr., Jackson, MS 39213; phone (601)979-8850; fax (601)979-8848; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Beginning in January 2012, the author(s) must electronically submit a manuscript as a Microsoft Word file (.doc) to:
Jamie LaVigne, Editorial Coordinator,
Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education
email@example.com; (517) 980-1921
When a manuscript is accepted for publication, the author(s) must send it with any changes requested by reviewers as a Microsoft Word file (.doc) to Editorial Coordinator, Jamie LaVigne. Proofs are not provided.
- A request for approval to reprint specific articles should be addressed to CCC, a nonprofit organization that provides licenses and registration for a variety of users.
Copyright Clearance Center, Inc. (CCC)
222 Rosewood Drive; Danvers, MA 01923
(978) 750-8400; www.copyright.com
- A request for a specific article should be addressed to:
National Archive Publishing Company
300 N. Zeeb Road, PO Box 998
Ann Arbor, MI 48106-0998
(734) 302-7500 or (800) 420-NAPC;
- Beginning in 2020, manuscript authors should be aware that the JADE Journal will be published both in print and digital format.
- Beginning January 1, 2020, all manuscripts and letters to the editor approved for publication will be charged a $50.00 administrative processing fee. This fee is non-refundable and will be due after you have been notified that your submission has been approved for publication. Anyone requesting a “financial hardship” waiver for this fee will need to contact JADE’S Editor, Dr. Manoj Sharma directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or (702) 895-2687.